“Alex in the Middle”
|Season 1, Episode 16|
June 15, 2008
Jerry's zany brother, Kelbo Russo, visits, and after showing a different style of wizard training by actually letting them use their powers, Alex wants to make Kelbo her teacher. However, Kelbo is unable to focus on their lessons and everything turns into a mess when he and Alex open a package of sea chimps from the wizard mail, which floods the magic lair, and Jerry has to save Alex and Kelbo, who have been turned into sea chimps.
In the end, after Alex and her brothers express surprise and confusion at how Jerry was able to save Kelbo and Alex despite not having powers anymore. Kelbo reveals that Jerry was always a lot better with magic than he was, and the adults reveal something they never told the kids:
- When Jerry and Kelbo's family had the competition to see who would keep their wizard powers, it was actually Jerry who was victorious. However, since wizards can't marry non-wizards, Jerry chose to give up his powers (which were given to Kelbo) so he could be with Theresa. Jerry admits that he has no regrets giving up his powers and stands by the decision he made years ago.
Alex finds the story very sweet, but Justin and Max feel it's dumb to give up your powers for a girl (although they shut up when their mom, dad and uncle shoot glares at them). Alex comes to Jerry's defense by pointing out that if Jerry hadn't done what he did, she and her brothers probably would never have been born.
At the end of the episode, the Russo family goes to a basketball game and Alex shows off a spell that Kelbo taught her.
- Cashmerus Appearus — The ability to zap a cashmere sweater onto a wizard's body instantly.
- Threemetris Movetris — Teleports objects or people 10 feet away.
- Cranium Revolvis — The ability to rotate people's heads around their bodies. Note: Holding your head can prevent one from being affected.
- Dehydratus Lugatus Apus Escapus — The ability to drain liquids and change from a sea chimp back into a human.
- The title is a parody of Malcolm in the Middle, a TV show.
- This is the first episode that Kelbo Russo appears in.
- Alex's opinion of Jerry giving up his magic to be with Theresa changes during the events of the movie, mirroring her brothers ridicule of the act while it is Harper who finds it sweet.
- It's revealed that wizards can't marry non-wizards unless said wizard gives up their powers. It's also possible that wizards also can't have children with non-wizards unless they give up their powers, but this is unknown.